Stay Informed Between Visits to Your Accountant
At Bell and Company, we believe a visit to your accountant should happen more than once a year. Why? BC and Canadian tax regulations are regularly updated, so frequent visits to your accountant can ensure you have access to the latest developments and can help you stay on top of your financial planning, resulting in minimized tax burdens and a healthier financial profile – whether personal or business-related.
While not a substitute for these regular visits, we also welcome you to our news room, where we share accounting information and updates that will help you stay abreast of your tax and finance-related options in-between visits to your accountant.
Stay in touch with us on Facebook and Google+ to get the latest news and information about BC and Canadian tax updates, financial planning resources, and other helpful accounting information, as well as updates about our accountants and firm in Victoria, BC.
CRA Updates & Newsletters
Heartbleed Bug on CRA Website
Bell & Company would like to bring to your attention recent updates by the Canada Revenue Agency related to the “Heartbleed Bug” vulnerability.
Below is a summary of the main points from the updates:
- The Canada Revenue Agency reports that all of its online systems have been restored to full service as of April 13, 2014.
- Interest and penalties will not be applied to individual taxpayers filing their 2013 tax returns after April 30, 2014 for a period equal to the length of the service interruption. This means individual tax returns for 2013 filed by May 5 will not incur interest or penalties.
- Based on the CRA’s analysis to date, Social Insurance Numbers (SINs) of approximately 900 taxpayers were removed from CRA systems by someone exploiting the “Heartbleed” vulnerability.
- In the unlikely event that your SIN was affected you will receive a registered letter from the CRA informing you of the breach.
- The Agency will not be calling or emailing individuals to inform them that they have been impacted.
If you have any questions about how this may impact your personal, business, GST, payroll or any other tax filings please do not hesitate to contact our office and we would be happy to assist you.
Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8am-8pm and Saturday from 9am-5pm. General inquiries may also be sent to email@example.com. Thank you
- Benefit Recipients – Payment IssuanceGet email notifications when the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) issues:
- Canada Child Tax Benefits
- GST/HST Credits
- Universal Child Care Benefits
- Working Income Tax Benefits (Advance Payments)
- Businesses – Tax Information NewsletterGet email notifications when the CRA posts new or updated information for businesses, including news, tips, local events, and more.You can also access a link to view previous issues of this newsletter.
- Excise and GST/HST NewsAccess recent developments in administering goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST), as well as excise tax and duty, published quarterly.Option to sign up for related email notifications.
- SR&ED Tax Incentives – What’s NewGet email notifications about new documents, new policies and guidelines, new claim forms, and information on upcoming general and sector-specific seminars available on the Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) website.